THE PURPOSE AND PRINCIPLES OF THE WEST GEORGIA REGIONAL LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE (LEPC)
ARTICLE I: NAME
This organization shall be known as the West Georgia Regional Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
ARTICLE II: PURPOSES
The duties and activities of the LEPC are those set forth in accordance with Title III of the Superfund Amendments and:
- Establish procedures for reviewing and processing requests from the public for information under section 324 of the Act.
- To serve as a bridge between the citizens, industries and local emergency response agencies.
- Reviews community emergency plans submitted and makes recommendations on revisions of the plans that may be necessary to ensure coordination of such plans with emergency response plans of other emergency planning agencies that will benefit the entire citizenry of Carroll, Haralson and Heard Counties.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
- The LEPC must possess or have ready access to a wide range of expertise relating to the community, our industrial facilities, transportation and the mechanics of emergency response and response planning.
- The LEPC must be representative of all elements of our community with a substantial interest in reducing the risks posed by hazardous materials. Members shall be comprised of representatives from private industry, emergency response agencies, chemical transporters, educators, environmental groups, health departments, government officials, news media and private citizens of Carroll, Haralson and Heard Counties.
- “Voting” member status is required to vote on LEPC business. A voting member has demonstrated a commitment to serve the community through the LEPC. This status is attained by attending three (3) consecutive announced meetings. Once voting member status is attained, it is maintained by attending, at a minimum, one (1) announced meeting out of three (3) consecutive announced meetings.
- “Non-voting” member status is given to new members and otherwise attained by missing three (3) consecutive announced meetings. A non-voting member may attain voting member status by attending three (3) consecutive announced meetings.
ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS
- Named. The officers of the LEPC shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary and a Treasurer.
- Election and Term. The LEPC shall elect the Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer of the LEPC. At the first meeting of each calendar year, the LEPC shall elect from its voting membership a Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer who shall serve for one year until his/her death, resignation, retirement, removal, disqualification or his/her successor shall have been elected and qualified.
- Removal. The Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer may be removed by a vote of the LEPC whenever, in its judgment, the best interests of the LEPC will be served thereby.
ARTICLE V: DUTIES OF THE OFFICERS
- Duties of the Chairperson. The Chairperson shall preside at all meetings of the LEPC, preserve order during its meetings, appoint all subcommittees and sign any reports, records, vouchers or other documents connected with the work of the LEPC requiring such signature.
- Duties of the Vice-Chairperson. In the absence of the Chairperson, or in the event of his/her inability or refusal to act, the Vice-Chairperson, unless otherwise determined by the LEPC, shall perform the duties of the Chairperson. He/she shall exercise such other duties as from time-to-time may be assigned to him/her by the Chairperson of the LEPC.
- Duties of the Secretary. The Secretary shall have charge of all non-financial books, papers, records and other documents of the LEPC; shall keep and sign the minutes of all meetings of the LEPC and shall distribute in a timely manner before the next scheduled meeting; shall conduct all correspondence pertaining to the office of the Secretary; shall compile statistics and other data as may be required for use of the members of the LEPC; shall keep records of attendance such that the voting and non-voting member status can be determined; and shall perform such other duties as may be directed by the Chairperson.
- Duties of the Treasurer. The Treasurer shall have charge of all financial books, papers, records and other documents of the LEPC; shall sign all checks for approved expenditures; shall report the financial status of the LEPC at each announced meeting; and shall perform such other duties as may be directed by the Chairperson.
ARTICLE VI: COMMITTEES
The following standing committees shall be appointed and given mandate by the Chairperson within thirty (30) days of taking office:
- Legislation Committee/Regulatory Affairs
- Funding Committee
- Industrial Outreach Committee
- Public Information Committee
- Ad hoc or subcommittees may be formed at any time for special purposes or assignments. They will cease to function when their specific task is complete.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS
- Regular meetings. The LEPC shall meet bi-monthly for regular meetings unless otherwise specified by the Committee, but no less than quarterly.
- Quorum. Quorum for voting purposes is defined as a simple majority (51% or more) of the voting members present at an announced meeting.
- Rules of Order. The deliberation of all meetings of the LEPC and its various committees and subcommittees shall be governed by Robert’s Rules of Order, Newly Revised.
- Notice of meetings. Notice of time, place and agenda items to be considered at each meeting shall be given to all members at least two (2) weekends prior to each meeting. Any matters not appearing on the agenda may be considered upon a favorable vote of a majority of the voting members present. Notice of special meetings and intended agenda items shall be given to all LEPC members at least seven days in advance of any special meetings.
ARTICLE VIII: VOTING
- One vote each. Each voting member of the LEPC, including the Chairperson, shall be entitled to one vote.
- Proxy votes. No member shall vote by proxy.
- Abstentions. Voting members may register their abstention on any vote which shall be reflected in the minutes, and members are encouraged to abstain on matters which pose for them a conflict of interest.
- Determination of Actions. All final actions, LEPC positions, or policy recommendations shall require the favorable vote of a majority of those voting LEPC member present at any announced meeting.
ARTICLE IX: REPORTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Annual Report. By March 1 of each year, the LEPC shall make a report describing its activities for the preceding calendar year. A copy of this report shall be issued to all members and to the Chairpersons of the Carroll, Haralson and Heard County Boards of Commissioners
- Issuance of reports. No reports of any kind shall be released in the name of the LEPC unless and until it has been duly adopted by a favorable vote of a majority of the voting members present at any announced meeting of the LEPC.
ARTICLE X: PROJECT FUNDING APPROVAL
Projects proposed to the LEPC for funding consideration shall be submitted to the Chairperson in a timely manner such that the request can be placed on the agenda in advance of the next scheduled meeting as required in Article VI (4) above. Such request must provide a detailed project description, scope of work, time-line and estimated expenses. All requests must follow Georgia and federal guidelines effective at the time of the request. Otherwise, voting on project funding must follow Article VIII above. Expenditures incurred in the normal course of business, but not considered project funding or expenses, shall be paid by the Treasurer without vote.
ARTICLE XI: AMENDMENTS
The Purpose and Principles may be amended or replaced upon the affirmative vote of a simple majority (51% or more) of the voting members present at any announced meeting of the LEPC provided that any proposed changes have been circulated to all members at least thirty (30) days prior to any action thereon.
ARTICLE XII: RATIFICATION PROVISION
The Purpose and Principles of the West Georgia Regional Local Emergency Planning Committee are duly adopted by a majority of the members present at the announced meeting of the LEPC this ____day of February, 2011, in Carroll County, Georgia.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have affixed their signatures and seals on the date indicated.
LEPC CHAIRPERSON DATE